|Dry Night Trainer|
Are you a parent of a child who is still wetting the bed most nights?
You know how stressful this can be. Bed-wetting (otherwise known as nocturnal enuresis) is a common childhood problem. Bed-wetting alarms offer parents a non-pharmacological therapy which can treat the underlying pathophysiology involved in bed-wetting.
In Canada roughly 15% seven year olds and 2% of ten year olds suffer from frequent bed-wetting.
Why use a Bed-Wetting alarm?
- Nighttime incontinence is not within the child’s control. Parents are reluctant to approach Doctors about their child’s bed-wetting and if they do they are hesitant to use prescribed medication
- The most critical aspect of treatment is reassurance for the child, who may experience low self-esteem.
- A systematic review found that after 10–20 weeks, 66% of children maintained 14 consecutive dry nights compared with only 4% of children with no treatment
- In Canada roughly 1 in 7 seven year olds and 1 in 5 ten year olds suffer from frequent bed-wetting. The bed-wetting alarm has the highest long-term success rate and is the only non-pharmacologic treatment shown with long lasting results.
- The Dry Night Trainer resembles a child’s watch and acts as a bed-wetting alarm which can be worn either on the left or right arm.
- The bed-wetting alarm has two sensors which discreetly loop through the sleeve of the pyjamas to the underwear in order to detect any drops of urine.
- A sensor will react to the wetness on the cloth and the alarm will sound, waking the child up.
- Gradually over time the child learns to ‘hold on’ throughout the night without waking, and others will wake up and go to the toilet. After 14 dry nights in a row, the child should not need the alarm anymore.
- Parents play an important role in the treatment of their child’s bed-wetting. When the bedwetting alarm is reacted the parent should also wake with the child to reassure them and to remind them the Dry Night Trainer has been triggered to wake them to go to the toilet.
What is the Dry Night Trainer?
The Dry Night Trainer resembles a child’s watch and can be worn either on the left or right arm. The bed-wetting alarm has two sensors which discreetly loop through the sleeve of the pajamas and clip on the underwear in order to detect any drops of urine. At the first drop of moisture, the alarm will sound, waking the child up. Gradually over time the child will learn to ‘hold on’ throughout the night without waking, or will wake up and go to the toilet. After 14 dry nights in a row, the child should not need the alarm anymore.
The Dry Night Trainer is an advanced device that makes use of miniature electronics. The currents being used in the sensors to measure the humidity are extremely low and therefore absolutely safe. It also adheres to all required medical standards.
It is important that the user of the alarm (the child) is motivated to conjure up the discipline needed to work with this method.You can increase the childs motivation by going at this training in a playful manner and using the supplied covers for the alarm. These come in the shape of a football, a star, and a flower.
How Does the Dry Night Trainer Work?
The Dry Night Trainer also recommends the use of a Reward Scheme along with the bed-wetting alarm
How To Use?
a) Attach the bed-wetting alarm at the wrist using the Velcro strap.
b) Lead the cable through the pajamas to the underwear
(Whatever the child normally wears can be used). Make sure that the cable does
not hinder the child’s movement. To ensure free movement, always use a
long-sleeved pajama top. If the lead seems too long, you can use the Velcro
cable tie provided to tidy away excess length.
c) Snap the underwear between the press-studs in the
area where the first drop of urine will be expected.
Setting the volume
When you use the Dry Night Trainer for the first time, you will need to
pull out the clear plastic strip to activate the battery.
You can adjust the volume by touching the snaps together and
pressing the volume (v) (small hole under the decorative cover as shown) with a
pin repeatedly. Once the desired volume is achieved, the volume setting will be
stored until the battery is next removed.
Click the Link Below for a Tracking Chart